First Grow – Trimming
I brought the first Grow Box raised Cannabis plant upstairs for processing.
It has been just about four months in the grow box and an additional 63 days from seed to “window sill veg” stage. That’s is a total of 185 days of anticipation. I nervously gripped a thick stem of my green baby with the clippers and squeezed. I linger… a moment of doubt… too early? The heck with it, gotta start somewhere… Snip. The harvest has begun.
I commenced trimming using the sharpest scissors I could find. I had a pointy tipped pair in the “junk drawer”. It would have to do.
After snipping off branches using the clipppers, I trimmed each branch of the larger fan leaves first. I found trimming the branches from below, holding them upside-down, was the easiest way to choose and snip the leaves close to the flower.
Since this was a rather small plant, I trimmed it up in no time at all. I carefully placed the trimmed flowers on plastic coat hangers and put them in the closet with the “dehumidifier”. Clearly that dehumidifier unit in there now won’t be enough as the weather around here is nearly 100% humidity!
The yield on this plant was not very impressive. It is important to note a number of things when considering final quantity harvested.
- This plant is grown from a random seed on my desk.
- This plant had a stressed childhood. As a seedling, there was poor light and often “confusing” light cycles because the seedling had to hide in a closet when the landlord was near.
- The temperature in the apartment was often too cool.
- The plant was less than 20 inches tall at the time of harvest as a result of growing in a small grow box.
Two more cannabis plants await their fate. These are the two plants I grew from clones. They are fuller, taller and healthier than the one I just harvested (random seed plant). I feel they still need to “ripen” another day or two.
Two days later I cut down the two remaining grown clones and commenced trimming the plants in preparation for drying and curing.
…stay tuned as we trim and cure our First Grow…