Yup, I’m taking the plunge.
After the 420 Independence Party in Natick last week, I was motivated to make a grow box happen. A combination of a nutrient raffle prize and the gift of two cannabis clones, I felt it was time to start growing.
I had hoarded a cabinet last century that has been sitting in the basement waiting for this opportunity. At 3 feet by 2 feet and 3 feet tall, it was going to be a smaller grow box but I feel it will be enough to “get my feet wet”. The first 2 steps: paint the inside and buy the gear to get this grow box built.
The inside (and outside) of the cabinet is a black laminate. I used a can of Kilz white to mask over the black then I followed up with a coat of ceiling white. I felt that a flat white paint would be the easiest to apply and good for an even reflection of the grow light.
The next step was to visit my local grow store. I am lucky to have a great grow store the next town over from me. HTG Supply is one of the fastest growing indoor gardening suppliers in the United States with over 16 stores, mostly in the East. These are no-nonsense grow shops with all you would ever need to grow weed. I made the decision to go with soil over hydroponics. HTG Supply has all the stuff for both types of growing.
Here’s the list of all the stuff I bought from the grow store:
- LED Light – 7 Band 2.1 “2 Pod”
- 4″ GrowBright High Velocity Inline Fan
- Growbright 4″ Carbon Filter
- 120V Dual outlet timer
- 4″ Metal Bracket Flange
When I was out, I picked up a 4″ rubber duct connector, a thin rear dryer duct and a 4″ hole saw. The wood I was cutting was a very dense particle board. I got the wrong type of hole cutter yet I persisted and bored 2 holes in the cabinet. The inlet will be at the bottom and the outlet will be the hole at the top, assisted with the fan. I hope placing the holes apart as I have will maximize the airflow.
Now it was time to mount the fan. I paid extra care here and mounted the unit super secure. When I cut the holes in the box, I made sure there was enough clearance to fit the motor/fan assembly.
On the outside of the box I mounted a “triple” outlet I had lying around and pushed it inside a hole I drilled through. A glob of hot glue and some adhesive pads and the plug is secure. I added a vent flourish for the exhaust hole because it was cheap and it looked cool. On the other side of the plug, on the inside, I plugged in the timer. Now it was time to mount the LED light bank.
The LED lights are in an easy to handle box assembly. It features convenient tabs to clip a hanging cable. I drilled 4 holes in the top of the unit, pulled the mounting cables through and clipped them together. Couldn’t have been easier. I can raise and lower the LED light box by adjusting the cables from the top of the grow box.
I added the carbon filter to the inline fan using the rubber connector. I made a support bracket from some aluminum I had bent around the filter and mounted to the inside top of the grow box. The inside was shaping up. I used some duct tape to work on some of the “light leaks”, especially around the intake venting. I will tighten up the rest as I see them.
It was time to bring the green children to their new home…
…to be continued.